Sunday, February 12, 2006

3 really amazing incidences...

Every day at work, I go down to the coffee shop and order a bagel and a coffee. The guy at the cash has always been friendly to me and all of his customers. Recently, we've had some better conversations about different things such as what we are doing in the weekend, how's everything, how's work, religion...

Recently, with all of the talk about the Islamic cartoon, and how it stirred violence and anger across the Islamic world, we just started talking a little bit about religion. He mentioned to me that he is Muslim, and believes that Jesus was only a prophet, just one of many prophets mentioned in the bible..nothing significant really about him at all. He mentioned how he respected all faiths, and gave me the impression that all faiths lead to heaven. In response, I just let him know that I believed in Jesus Christ, and really believed that He is the only way to heaven, and salvation. I mentioned to him that I believe that there is such a thing as "absolute truth" and that it is only found in Christ. I challenged him by asking him if he would be willing to stake his life and soul, such that when he dies and looks back, would he realize that he was wrong all along, and it was too late?....I just left that question with him that day...I haven't followed up with him, but I will pray for him...

Also...

The other day at lunch, I just had a massive craving for a Hot Dog..I was walking around Downtown and was really really disappointed that I didn't find any stands. I must have walked a few blocks and taken about 30 minutes doing that. Then I realized that Union Station would have hot dogs! I finally got there, bought the hot dog, went inside, sat and ate my dog. Some guy just started talking to me. He was an old man, who was visiting Toronto from a town near Ottawa. He came to see the Canadian Opera that night, and was scheduled to leave the next day. We ended up having a nice conversation, and he just let me know that he really appreciated that I talked to him.

On friday at Out of the cold....

My small group was scheduled to cook and serve the homeless at a church downtown. I arrived and started to help out as much as I could. Then I just started making rounds to try and talk to people. Nobody really seemed to be in the mood for talk. But later, I sat near this man, and we just started talking about life and everything. He mentioned to me that he was going through a rough time in his life. He also shared about his life and the trials that he has gone through, throughout his life. He really has gone through some difficult times. While listening, I just was praying for God to give me some words to say to him. He shared a specific incident with me, and really was not optimistic about it. I just tried to let him know that God would not fail him, and will provide all of his needs. I shared with him that I didn't have all the answers, and that there aren't always guarantees, but I let him know that God will take care of him and will provide a miracle...
So I've been praying for him too..

Through these 3 incidents, I've realized that it is so important to build relationships with others in order to reach out to them. God confirmed to me that one of my gifts, is just simply to talk and listen to people. I really did that! And I trust that he was using me! and he will still use me. I also realized that sometimes, people just need the company, and just need to talk and to feel like someone is listening to them. That's one of the ways to show God's love...
Thank you for using me...and continue to use me..

1 Comments:

At 9:00 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Joshiwa - you truly are a man of God. So passionate and on fire for the one we dedicate our lives to. Amazing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home