Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Lectio Divina - part 1

In small group we are studying the spiritual disciplines. We studied a exercise early Christians will practice called Lectio Divina: Divine reading, spiritual reading, or "holy reading," and represents a method of prayer and scriptural reading intended to promote communion with God and to provide special spiritual insights.

I've been reflecting on two passages, and God really spoke to me personally.

1st reading - Mark 8: 34-38 - 34 - He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”

This part really spoke to me - "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it."

There are things, hopes, memories, dreams, desires, disappointments, that I'm still holding on to that Christ challenges me to let go and follow His priorities and to spend my energy, thoughts and time on. I just had to confess them yesterday, and re-commit myself to His cause.

1st reading - Psalm 42 - As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"
These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God,with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. Why are you downcast, O my soul?Why so disturbed within me?Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember youfrom the land of the Jordan,the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.
By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me a prayer to the God of my life. I say to God my Rock, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?" My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, "Where is your God?" why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God,for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.


Words that spoke to me - "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God."
-"These things I remember as I pour out my soul"
-"By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me a prayer to the God of my life"

I just want to go deeper with God. He loves it when I pour out my soul to Him. Yesterday I poured out my emotions, burdens, and pain to God. And I
am reminded of His tenderness and faithfulness to me throughout my day.

This song is special to me....

Lead Me To The Cross - Brooke Fraser

Savior I come
quiet my soul remember
redemptions hill
where Your blood was spilled
for my ransom

PreChorus:
everything I once held dear
I count it all as lost

Chorus:
lead me to the cross
where Your love poured out
bring me to my knees
Lord i lay me down
rid me of myself
I belong to You
lead me
lead me to the cross

You were as I
tempted and trialed
Human
the word became flesh
bore my sin and death
now You're risen

to your heart
to your heart
lead me to your heart
lead me to your heart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home