Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Only let your manner of life be worthy......

Interesting.....a devotion from Walk in the Word...

Point of emphasis for me:

“Today I want my life to be pleasing to Him. Tomorrow I want to keep doing this. Next week, next year, in ten years, I still want to be devoted to Christ and His cause. I don’t know what’s coming, I don’t know what the cost will be, but I want to be found faithful.”


A DOLLAR AT A TIME By Dr. James MacDonald

“Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ...” Philippians 1:27
This week I read of a preacher who said that many Christians think that a commitment to Christ is something you give once-for-all, like a thousand dollar bill. Now, I’ve never seen a thousand dollar bill but I get what he’s saying. We think a commitment to Christ is like, “OK, Lord, I lay down my whole life! Here, I’m emptying my wallet of all of its contents. Here’s that thousand dollar bill—it’s everything I am and will ever have. It’s Yours.”

I like that picture, but I would change it a bit. A commitment to Christ is surrendering everything you are and have, but instead of putting that thousand dollar bill in the offering plate, living for Christ is more like giving that same amount in single bills over your lifetime. Faithfulness in each and every moment. Faithfulness at that place of temptation. Faithfulness in a difficult trial. Faithfulness as I’m walking into work too busy for anyone but stopping for that person I know needs a word of encouragement. Commitment is a thousand dollars laid down for God a little bit at a time over a lifetime of faithfulness.

The apostle Paul spent his life this way so he knew what he was asking in Philippians 1:27: “Only let your manner of life be worthy.” It challenges my spirit to “be worthy of Christ.” Ephesians 4:1 tells us, “Walk worthy.” In Colossians 1:10, Paul prayed that we would “live in a manner worthy of the Lord.”

Of all the ingredients that go into being “be worthy of Christ,” faithfulness is the most essential. We’re talking extensively about that on the broadcast this week. This goal should constantly be in the heart of every follower of Jesus Christ. “Today I want my life to be pleasing to Him. Tomorrow I want to keep doing this. Next week, next year, in ten years, I still want to be devoted to Christ and His cause. I don’t know what’s coming, I don’t know what the cost will be, but I want to be found faithful.”

If that thought of faithfulness fires up your faith for another day, then praise God for His sustaining faithfulness to you and keep going!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home